Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Road to Becoming the Crazy Dog Lady Part 1


  I've been trying for 2 weeks to write about my recent trip to Alabama, to experience the Southern end of dog rescue, and have been unsuccessful. I finally realized I was trying to start in the middle of my story. 

  So back to the beginning we go... 

 On July 21, 2012 we packed up the kids and headed to CT. The kids thought we were headed to the beach. Little did they know we were going to meet the transport truck that was carrying our newly adopted puppy, Coco.  

By early Spring Coco had turned 8 months old and and was pretty full of herself. She started destroying her "babies" 

      
  and smothering the cats. She had more energy than we could handle so we decided another dog to keep her busy might be a good idea but just weren't ready to commit to a full time 2nd dog in the house. I kept seeing a friend post pictures of her adorable foster dogs and the idea started taking hold. I mulled it over for about a week before submitting my foster application to  a rescue group called Big fluffy Dog Rescue based in Nashville, TN. 

   

   



Once our application got approved Coco and Daddy jumped right into prepping the backyard for our new arrival. We put up a kennel and installed some sod. 

Within a week we welcomed our very first foster dog, Brinkley, a 1 yr old sight hound/lab mix and Coco was so happy to have a friend to play with!



   




Cassidy, my younger daughter, and I started going to dog events every weekend to show off and promote Brinkley.


Brinkley met her forever family at the "Paws in the Park" event in South Windsor, CT. 


Her new Mom works at a veterinary office, she has a human brother and sister and to this day loves long naps on the couch and chasing the resident cats! 
Miss Coco was sad to she her new best friend go and let us know with deep sighs and lots of moping in her recliner. 

A few days later we headed back to the transport stop to pick up foster #2. Redmond is a 8 month old flat coat retriever/spaniel mix who had been rescued from a hoarding case. The poor boy was recovering from mange and poor care. He had bald spots and sores on his body. The tip of his tail had no fur whatsoever. 


We also picked up Simon. Simon had a foster lined up but needed a place to crash for a couple nights until they could come pick him up. 
We started calling Redmond "Lil' Bear" as he was just the sweetest little bear cub we had ever met. Lil' Bear stayed with us for just shy of 6 weeks. Coco loved every second with her new friend and we enjoyed having 2 exhausted puppies! So far fostering these rescue dogs from the South was just perfect for our family. Coco seemed to really enjoy teaching her new friends how to go up and down stairs, play with toys and behave in the house. 


Lil' Bear was still with us on May 30th when my husband, Jay, had a heart attack and was rushed to the hospital. Lil' Bear was an angel for everyone who came over to help take care of the dogs in my absence. When I finally made it home and into bed at 1:30 a.m. he immediately started attacking his crate door and barking like a madman. Knowing he would most likely destroy my house and pee all over the carpet but knowing I needed to sleep more I decided to let him out. My sweetest little black bear hopped right up into my bed and snuggled me all night long. He just knew I needed comforting. When Jay came home from the hospital he slept with him every night, snuggled in Jay's arms with his head on the pillow next to Jay's. 






Lil' Bear was adopted by a friend of a friend and we enjoy frequent updates from Bear & his family. Bear has 2 human brothers and a huge yard to run and play in. His fur all grew back eventually and he is a healthy, happy pup!





Part 2 coming soon...
















No comments:

Post a Comment